The Connecticut River Conservancy (CRC) seeks 2 Seasonal Angler Survey Coordinators to implement Angler surveys in the Massachusetts portion of the Connecticut River Watershed for the 2022 season. This program includes monitoring fishing and boating activities at designated locations and engaging with anglers to learn about their experience and their catches. CRC is looking for motivated candidates that are comfortable around the river and relevant activities and can initiate lively and informative conversations with the public. These programs may include volunteer participation and, as such, the coordinators should also have experience and comfort with volunteer management. This work takes place in several locations including Holyoke, South Hadley, and Chicopee.
- Successfully complete training.
- Fish identification guides and training provided.
- Begin and end each 4-hour assignment on time at pre-defined locations and times.
- Weekends and Holidays times detailed below are required.
- Follow documented survey procedures
- Collect data on fishing activity visible from shore (boat and bank fishing)
- Collect data on fish catch (species and rate)
- Collect data on anglers’ experience via on-site interviews
- Educate anglers on the importance or restoring fish passage and collecting data
- Distribute outreach material while interacting with the angling public in the field
- Record data on electronic field tablets and data sheets
- Perform rigorous data review for quality control
- Complete, organize, and submit data and reports to supervisors in a timely manner
- Promote relevant US Fish & Wildlife Services, MA Department of Recreation and Conservation and CRC programs.
- High school diploma or GED equivalent
- Passion for the environment, river ecology and stewardship and willingness to learn
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills. Outgoing and engaging personality. Individuals should be comfortable approaching and speaking with strangers to obtain interviews
- A valid driver’s license and vehicle.
- Ability to participate in strenuous physical activity
- Ability to work both in the office as well as on the river
- Experience angling and being around fish and fishing equipment
- Basic understanding of computer programs including Office 365 and Google Suite
- Understanding of the survey and being able to explain its importance to anglers in order to gain their participation
- Flexible schedule: availability and willingness to work 8-hour days outdoors on randomly interspersed weekdays and weekends, including some holidays. See schedule.
- Fluent English required. Conversational Spanish required.
Hours and Salary
- Surveys are randomly interspersed, occurring in the mornings, afternoons, weekends, and occasional holidays. The surveys are to begin on April 15th and continue until June 30th. Please see the schedule.
- ±24 hours/week
Deadline to apply: Friday April 8th, 2022, or until positions are filled
Using the form below, please upload the following in 1 PDF document:
- Cover Letter (~200 words)
Contact Aliki Fornier (she/her pronouns) at firstname.lastname@example.org or 413.772.2020 x207 for questions about this position.
About Connecticut River Conservancy
Connecticut River Conservancy is the voice for the Connecticut River watershed, from source to sea. We collaborate with partners across four states to protect and advocate for your rivers and educate and engage communities. We bring people together to prevent pollution, improve habitat, and promote enjoyment of your river and its tributary streams. Healthy rivers support healthy economies.
CRC is an equal opportunity employer. We highly encourage members of underrepresented communities to apply, and we value the insights, knowledge, and perspective that a diverse staff bring to our organization and work.
Angler Survey Technician Job Application form