Part-time position: 16 hours/week
Position Classification: Seasonal
Date Range: 5/15 – 9/1/2023
Location: Greenfield, MA
Health Benefit Eligible: No
Retirement Benefit Eligible: Yes
Supervisor: Water Quality Program Manager
Seasonal assistant to the Water Quality Program Manager for the Connecticut River Conservancy water quality monitoring programs taking place in Massachusetts. Assistant will coordinate the weekly volunteer bacteria monitoring program. Bacteria sampling occurs on Thursday mornings. Assistant may also help with the Deerfield River watershed program that occurs every other Thursday morning if needed and available.
Field and lab work will be in person, other work can be done remotely or at the Greenfield office. This position requires access to a car and mileage accrued while working will be reimbursed at the IRS rate.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The Massachusetts Seasonal Water Quality Assistant will be responsible for coordinating the bacteria monitoring program which includes:
- Preparing and providing supplies to volunteers
- Training volunteers (materials and curriculum provided)
- Communicate weekly with volunteers via email to keep program on track
- Collecting samples (training provided)
- Picking up samples and transporting to the lab
- Verifying completeness of field sheets and maintaining chain of custody
- Assisting with lab analysis (training provided)
- Input and management of field and laboratory data
Direct Reports: No employees will be reporting to this person.
- Experience with basic lab and field procedures
- Attention to detail and good organizational skills
- Ability to follow complex written procedures
- Experience coordinating volunteers or teaching
- Comfort using email, Microsoft Teams, Excel and web database applications
Please submit your cover letter and resume as one PDF using the form below. Interviews will take during the third week of April and applicants will be notified 1-2 weeks later.
Deadline to apply: April 3, 2023
About Connecticut River Conservancy
The Connecticut River Conservancy aims to be the voice for the Connecticut River watershed, from source to sea. We collaborate with partners across four states to protect and advocate for your rivers and educate and engage communities. We bring people together to prevent pollution, improve habitat, and promote enjoyment of your river and its tributary streams. Healthy rivers support healthy economies. Our organizational values are centered around: Inclusion, Collaboration, Resilience, and Stewardship .
CRC is an equal opportunity employer. We highly encourage members of communities excluded from the environmental field to apply, and we value the insights, knowledge, and perspective that a diverse staff bring to our organization and work.
COVID Policy and Benefits Package
The Connecticut River Conservancy requires all employees to be up to date with their COVID-19 vaccinations. We offer an employer supported retirement plan for employees who expect to earn at least $5000 in the calendar year. Please reach out with any questions about our current COVID-19 safety procedures and/or benefits packages.