Contract position: 5 – 10 hours/week
Position Classification: Freelance/Independent Contractor
Location: Remote or Hybrid (if candidate is based near Greenfield, MA) in the US
Health Benefit Eligible: No
Retirement Benefit Eligible: No
Supervisor: Communications Director, Diana Chaplin
Pay: $60/hour, contract not to exceed $5k
The Connecticut River Conservancy (CRC) seeks a motivated and skilled developer to manage a range of front-end and back-end technical needs for our WordPress-based web properties. Drupal experience is a bonus that could expand the scope of work. This position is freelance and contractor-based not to exceed $5,000 in total cost by July of 2023, with potential to continue the work and expand the contract based on project needs.
The developer must have proficiency in WordPress content management, coding, plugins (such as Gravity Forms, Advanced Custom Fields, and WooCommerce among others listed below), ongoing maintenance, page-building, user experience, hosting, data integration, and troubleshooting. Content creation and front-end design experience is preferred; however, the developer will work closely with others on staff to ensure content and design is co-created. Virtuous CRM experience is a plus.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Initially, resolve lingering issues related to notifications, event calendar, and default settings
- Manage ongoing monthly core, plugin, and security maintenance needs
- Assess Avada page-builder in comparison to other page-builders to determine a strategy for optimization or replacement
- Evaluate custom theme and all plugins to recommend and implement optimization, replacement, or removal for streamlining
- Evaluate event registration processes (and integration with QGiv) to develop customization or improvement
- Implement aesthetic updates that require coding (including HTML, CSS, and WordPress templating/PHP)
- Ensure all pages are mobile-friendly
- Conduct data cleanup related to content, categories, tagging, & old code
- Evaluate subscriptions, costs, hosting, and other settings to recommend improvements and efficiencies
- Offer and implement solutions around data and Virtuous CRM integration
- Identify, evaluate, and install best plugins for marketing, SEO, and conversion
- Troubleshoot minor issues as things come up
A work plan will be developed based on priorities and developer skills. You are encouraged to apply even if you have some of the skills above but not all.
The ideal candidate will have a passion for the environment, skills-based knowledge in web development, a positive attitude in working with others, and a willingness to learn new skills to implement creative and efficient software solutions.
The work schedule can be flexible, remote or hybrid, and determined in detail with the supervisor. If the candidate is local to Greenfield, MA, there will be opportunities to connect in person at CRC headquarters, as well as other locations throughout the watershed. In-person meetings are not required for this role, but video calls will be essential for communication.
The Contractor is expected to use a personal computer and phone and will not receive any work materials or a laptop from CRC for this role. The Supervisor will ensure the Contractor has access to any essential platforms, programs, and account logins necessary for executing on the work plan.
Current plugins we are using:
- Avada Builder
- Advanced Custom Fields
- The Grid
- Gravity Forms
- Gravity View
- The Events Calendar
- Slider Revolution
Please submit your cover letter and resume as one PDF using the form below. Interviews will take place in April.
Deadline to apply: April 14th, 2023
Hiring Manager: Diana Chaplin, email@example.com
About Connecticut River Conservancy
The Connecticut River Conservancy aims to be the voice for the Connecticut River watershed, from source to sea. We collaborate with partners across four states to protect and advocate for your rivers and educate and engage communities. We bring people together to prevent pollution, improve habitat, and promote enjoyment of your river and its tributary streams. Healthy rivers support healthy economies. Our organizational values are centered around: Inclusion, Collaboration, Resilience, and Stewardship .
CRC is an equal opportunity employer. We highly encourage members of communities excluded from the environmental field to apply, and we value the insights, knowledge, and perspective that a diverse staff bring to our organization and work.
Freeland WordPress / Full Stack Developer Application