Part-time position: 25 hours/week
Position Classification: Seasonal
Date Range: 4/1 – 6/30/2023
Location: Fieldwork in South Hadley, Holyoke, and Chicopee, MA
Health Benefit Eligible: No
Retirement Benefit Eligible: Yes
Supervisor: Ecology Planner
Supervisory: Not Eligible
The Connecticut River Conservancy (CRC) seeks two Seasonal Angler Survey Coordinators to implement Angler surveys in the Massachusetts portion of the Connecticut River Watershed for the 2023 season. This program includes monitoring fishing and boating activities at designated locations and engaging with anglers to learn about their experience and their catches. CRC is looking for motivated candidates that are comfortable around the river and relevant activities and can initiate lively and informative conversations with the public. These programs may include volunteer participation and, as such, the coordinators should also have experience and comfort with volunteer management. Surveys are randomly interspersed, occurring in the mornings, afternoons, weekends, and occasional holidays. The surveys are to begin on April 1st and continue until June 30th. This work takes place in several location including Holyoke, South Hadley, and Chicopee.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Successfully complete training. Pass both a survey procedures test and fish identification test.
- Fish identification guides and training provided.
- Begin and end each 4-hour assignment on time at pre-defined locations and times.
- Weekends and Holidays times detailed below are required.
- Follow documented survey procedures
- Collect data on fishing activity visible from shore (boat and bank fishing)
- Collect data on fish catch (species and rate)
- Collect data on anglers’ experience via on-site interviews
- Educate anglers on the importance or restoring fish passage and collecting data
- Distribute outreach material while interacting with the angling public in the field
- Record data on electronic field tablets and data sheets
- Perform rigorous data review for quality control
- Complete, organize, and submit data and reports to supervisors in a timely manner
- Promote relevant US Fish & Wildlife Services, MA Department of Recreation and Conservation and CRC programs.
- High school diploma or GED equivalent
- Interest in river ecology and stewardship
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills. Outgoing and engaging personality. Individuals should be comfortable approaching and speaking with strangers to obtain interviews
- A valid driver’s license and vehicle.
- Ability to participate in strenuous physical activity
- Ability to work both in the office as well as on the river
- Comfortable being around fish and fishing equipment
- Familiarity with spreadsheets and mapping tools
- Flexible schedule: availability and willingness to work 5-hour days outdoors on randomly interspersed weekdays and weekends, including some holidays.
- Fluent English required. Conversational Spanish desired.
Please submit your cover letter and resume as one PDF using the form below. Interviews will take place during the first two weeks of March.
Deadline to apply: February 28, 2023
About Connecticut River Conservancy
The Connecticut River Conservancy aims to be the voice for the Connecticut River watershed, from source to sea. We collaborate with partners across four states to protect and advocate for your rivers and educate and engage communities. We bring people together to prevent pollution, improve habitat, and promote enjoyment of your river and its tributary streams. Healthy rivers support healthy economies. Our organizational values are centered around: Inclusion, Collaboration, Resilience, and Stewardship .
CRC is an equal opportunity employer. We highly encourage members of communities excluded from the environmental field to apply, and we value the insights, knowledge, and perspective that a diverse staff bring to our organization and work.
COVID Policy and Benefits Package
The Connecticut River Conservancy requires all employees to be up to date with their COVID-19 vaccinations. We offer an employer supported retirement plan for employees who expect to earn at least $5000 in the calendar year. Please reach out with any questions about our current COVID-19 safety procedures and/or benefits packages.
Contact: Aliki Fornier (she/her), Ecology Planner, email@example.com, 413.772.2020 x207